Total Pageviews

Friday, July 21, 2017

Things people say to diabetics

          So these are some of the things that people have said to me since being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and how i answered


Should you really be eating that?
 I can eat anything i want that's why i take insulin as long as i take my insulin I can eat anything that you can eat.

Your not fat so how do you have diabetes?
You ate way to much sugar that's why you got sick.
 I have type 1 diabetes which is an Auto-immune disease/chronic illness. I didn't eat my way to diabetes. My immune system fought and destroyed the beta cells in my pancreas which made my pancreas stop producing insulin. 
 This is a common misconception.

If you start eating better won't the diabetes go away?
 There are 2 types of diabetes Type 2 can in some cases go away with proper diet and exercise. I have Type 1 there is no cure for this it is a chronic illness which means i will have it for the rest of my life no matter how good i eat, how much weight i lose, or how much i exercise. 

Did you test your blood sugar?
Did you take your insulin?
 Thank you for your concern but please don't worry about that. Checking my sugar and taking my insulin is my job to make sure i do not yours. The only people that need to worry about that is me, my fiance' and maybe my kids but really thanks for caring.

Is your diabetes finally under control?
 Well there really in no under control I mean some peoples diagnosis might say controlled diabetes but no one really has full control. You will always have good days and bad days. There are more things then just food that play into high and low numbers. Stress is a big one I know when I'm stressed my sugar goes crazy up and down its nuts. So no i am not fully controlled but i know what I'm doing now and I'm getting much better at it.

So those are just a couple of the things people have said to me in the last couple years. If have had people say crazy/funny things to you leave them in the comments i would love to hear them and how you responded. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment