Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 20, 2017

My Medtronic insulin pump

                      So wanted to tell you a little bit about the medtronic insulin pump that i previously used before i switched about a month ago. This pump was great the Medtronic minimed 530G it was exactly what i needed when i got it and i loved it. In fact I still do love it and I still have it incase i may ever need to use it again.

                     So a little about this pump well first of all it is just like most other pumps in the way it connects to u with tubing. I used the Mio infusion sets with a 6mm cannula and 18in tubing this was perfect for me but you may prefer a different set or maybe longer tubes its all in preference. The best thing i liked about having this pump was that it does all the math for you it takes in to account ur blood sugar and ur carbs and if you have active insulin onboard or even it your sugar is low it will adjust for you. It really takes the guess work out of being a diabetic. 
                      This pump can also be paired with the Enlite CGM this is a device that checks your blood sugar for you and sends the reading to your pump. I was never lucky enough to try this CGM because at the time my insurance would not cover it and they are far from being cheap. 
                        The reason i decided to make the switch from the medtronic pump although it did help tremendously to get my diabetes a little better controlled I personally was growing tired of the tubes. For example i have 2 kids and they like to play I have had my tubes get caught and pull out my infusion set. I also didn't like that it was not waterproof so i would have to disconnect when showering or swimming then i would have to remember to reconnect and it was just a pain for me. I also hated carrying around extra sets because they took up so much room in my bag. So with that being said I mean none of that is a big deal and had my insurance not approved the switch i would have been happy to keep this pump but my new one fits into my life a little better.


Thanks for reading and if you have any questions please leave them in the comments and i will be sure to answer them all. If you like my blogs please be sure to follow me I will be posting regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment